Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Was Framed: Tuesday Tip

Look at this picture:



There are a million things wrong with it, right?

It's grainy/noisy.
There are remnants of red eye.
It was taken with frontal flash.
It's a scanned image of an old original that has scratches on the glossy finish.
etc. . .

There are two things that I love about this snap shot of my family as a child.

The first is the placement and expressions of all the people:

I really like the grouping, It's well balanced. The expressions on each face is unique, and if you know these people, those expressions and body language are indicative of their personalities. I am a little shy and awkward --- not thrilled with being photographed. My sister is cuddly and sweet. My brother, silly, rambunctious, only holding still because he is being squeezed between Dad's legs. My mom still has that same dynamite smile, and my dad is generally calm and more reserved.

The second thing I like about this picture is the way the surroundings are used to frame the subjects:



Isn't that cool?

I think that Is what makes this photo 'a favorite family photo.'

One thing to think about when you are taking pictures is how to use your surroundings in an interesting way. Framing your subject within a building, window, or with organic shapes found in nature will always increase the interest level in your pictures.

Here are some more examples of framing your subject:













These are all examples of architecture, or man made materials being used to frame the families or people in the images.

Nature also provides us ways to 'frame each other' (ha ha ha --- I'm funny, right). For example, the picture of my family is at the entrance of a cave. Also, Orchards provide a framed look to the image with it's trees on both sides and branches overhead.

Go out and FRAME someone already!



Happy Tuesday Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment