Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday Tip: Solitary Confinement, For Your Pets

This has been a busy few weeks:

Planting our garden
Blake is in Organic Chemistry
and also working WAY too many crazy shifts
J is getting married, tomorrow.
. . .

So here is a quick Tuesday Tip I have been saving for a night when I just don't have a lot of time to write :)

This tip is for those of us who own and love pets, but it works particularly well for dogs (not so much cats). I call it: Solitary Confinement--> sounds meaner than it is.

My dog is a busy one and getting her to hold still by my north facing window is a T-R-I-A-L. So I like to stick her on a table.


that's right, A TABLE! (this one from IKEA)



The table is just tall enough that she can't jump down, wide enough that it is safe for her, and sturdy enough that it won't fall.


In this solitary space---SHE IS MOMENTARILY STALLED!


I do this so she can't really go anywhere else, or be busily sniffing my camera lens. I also like it because I can say her name and she looks right at me (with an expression that says: my mamma has gone nuts).


I have used this isolation trick on mobile, busy children too. If you give them a defined space to 'play' where they can't escape from you, then you have a better chance of capturing a realistic, happy, playful image of them.


NO, I have not put a child on a table from IKEA (it's too small) but I have put a child in a bucket, on a raised crate thing, on a desk etc. . .


And obviously this little tip would not work on a Great Dane, but I bet you could apply the principle and find a nice truck bed to place your giant dog in. At least for a couple shots!


Happy Tuesday Evening!


Enter this current giveaway and then go to bed and get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment